On the first round of making these thumbprint cookies, our oven completely died. The first batch came out completely soft, uncooked, with just the butter melted. First instinct was that the cookie recipe was off, then I realized the oven temperature was barely warm. The thermostat went and we no longer have a functioning oven upstairs. I’d be upset, but the reality is that this oven was the original in the house and lived a long 50+ years. They don’t make appliances like that anymore. The ironic part is our stove top died a couple months back and we just had it replaced. I was just getting used to being able to cook upstairs in our kitchen instead of in the basement when the oven decides to go as well. I gave this recipe a second shot in a working oven, and they turned out perfectly.
For the jam filling, I went with some of our homemade plum vanilla jam. With an abundance of fruit on our property, even with lots of freezing, I end up with more jam than I know what to do with. These are a great way to use up a little bit of that.
Einkorn Thumbprint Cookies
These thumbprint cookies are made with my einkorn shortbread cookies as the base. Fille with a little bit of homemade or store bough refined sugar free jam, they will surely become a Christmas baking staple.
- ¾ cup grass fed butter, softened
- 2/3 cup + 1 tbsp organic cane sugar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups all purpose einkorn flour
- 1/3 cup homemade or refined sugar free jam
- Step 1 In a large bowl, cream together the butter and the sugar.
- Step 2 Add in the sea salt, eggs, vanilla extract, almond extract and beat well to combine.
- Step 3 Add the einkorn flour.
- Step 4 Chill the dough for 10 minutes in the fridge.
- Step 5 Preheat the oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Step 6 Portion the dough into 1.5” balls and place on the baking sheet with 1” space between each.
- Step 7 Using your thumb, create a well in each cookie.
- Step 8 Use a ½ teaspoon measure to portion the jam into each well.
- Step 9 Bake for 10-11 minutes until lightly golden.
- Step 10 Let cool completely on the baking sheet until the jam has set.